Friday, September 25, 2015

Diane's fireflies

 
I made this drawing after a late June evening bike ride. This was the time of year when you can actually hear the corn grow. And when the fireflies are just coming out.
On this particular evening I had stopped to say hi to a friend. We stood at the end of the drive and I motioned to the darkening sky and said I'd better be on my way.
Just then Diane lit up exclaiming, "Oh Sally, have you seen the fireflies?"
Her husband physically stepped between us, completely blocking our view of each other. He bellered on about his responsibility raising the grandchildren and all. Blah blah blah.
I leaned around him to see my friends excitement fade. "Yes" I said. "I have seen the fireflies."
She nodded and choked.
I rode off.
Those fireflies will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment